Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Bookshelf

Well, I recently moved back to my hometown. I have been working on unpacking and all of the fun things that go along with that. Today I finally got to finish my bookshelf. Our new apartment has these really great built in shelves in the guest bedroom, and they worked nicely for both my personal books and my children's books.


The bottom two shelves are a mix of picture books, children's series such as Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events, poetry books, and the cardboard magazine holders from IKEA that I bought last year. I have wanted to organize my childrens books for a long time. My cooperating teacher during student teaching used magazine holders like these to organize her books by genre, topic, and author, and I wanted to do the same. Anything non-fiction, or curriculum based is on another bookshelf that I am almost finished with.

These three are collections of books by certain authors. It's a little fuzzy because I took these with my phone, but they are Kevin Henkes, David Shannon, Leo Lionni, Tomie de Paolo, Ezra Jack Keats, Pat Hutchins, Patricia Pollaco, Audrey Penn, Eric Carle, Margeret Wise Brown (my favorite) Jan Brett and Mo Williams. Basically any authors that I have been trying to collect and who I really admire and enjoy.


The rest are sorted by topic. Counting books, alphabet books, color books, days and months books, Underground Railroad books from a unit I created in college, Job and Emergency books, senses, emotions and health books, seasons and holiday books, and finally sign language books.


Whats nice about organizing the books like this is that when I need books about a certain topic, or by a specific author, I won't have to sort through the whole pile of books. I also want to work on a card catalog for the rest of the books so that eventually I can have an easy way of seeing what books I have about certain topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment